|You are not currently logged in. Are you accessing the unsecure (http) portal? Click here to switch to the secure portal.|
Das Landshuter Ringerbuch (Hans Wurm)
|Das Landshuter Ringerbuch|
|The Landshut Wrestling Manual|
First pages, fol. 1v-2r
|Ascribed to||Hans Wurm|
|Language||Early New High German|
The Landshuter Ringbuch is a German wrestling manual first printed by Hans Wurm in the 1490s. The author and artist of the brief incunabulum remain anonymous. Dr. Sydney Anglo describes Wurm’s work as an "experimental and rudimentary block book", and notes that it may have been one of the earliest printed martial arts treatises produced. The style of grappling illustrated in Hans Wurm’s wrestling manual is of the same school or tradition as those found in the Goliath Fechtbuch and the manual of Fabian von Auerswald. This might be considered a less dangerous, more "sporting" style, and is sometimes referred to as Ringkunst.
The Landshuter Ringbuch was initially printed in Landshut, Germany in the 1490s by Hans Wurm. It was reprinted by an unknown publisher in ca. 1510, who also had new illustrations cut. In ca. 1512, it was reprinted again in Augsburg by one Hannsen Sittich, who seems to have used the original plates. In 1535-40, a manuscript copy was also produced and included in the Goliath Fechtbuch, including greatly expanded text.
Reproductions of all three editions of the book were published by Minkowski in 1963 and by Bleibrunner in 1969.
|1 - 22||Anonymous treatise on grappling|
- Bleibrunner, Hans. Das Landshuter Ringerbuch von Hans Wurm: ein farb. Blockbuch aus d. Jahre 1500. Munich: Süddeutscher Verlag, 1969.
- Minkowski, Helmut. Das Ringen im Grüblein: eine spätmittelalterliche Form des deutschen Leibringens. Stuttgart: K. Hofmann, 1963.
- Anglo, Sydney. The Martial Arts of Renaissance Europe. New Haven and London: Yale University Press, 2000. pp 187
- Ibid, p 194.
- According to the data provided by the museum.
- "Verzeichnis der Fechtbücher aus dem deutschen Sprachraum 1300-1900". Ochs Historische Kampfkünste, 2011. Retrieved 4 May 2011.
Copyright and License Summary
For further information, including transcription and translation notes, see the discussion page.
|Images||Das Landshuter Ringerbuch|
|Transcription||Index:Das Landshuter Ringerbuch (Hans Wurm)|