Livro da ensinança de bem cavalgar toda sela ("Book of Teachings on Riding Well in Every Saddle"; MS Portugais 5) is a Portuguese fencing manual by Duarte I de Portugal, left unfinished at his death in 1438. The original currently rests in the holdings of the Bibliothèque nationale de France in Paris, France. The oldest known fencing treatise in the Portuguese language, it covers both horsemanship and advice on mounted fencing. The manuscript also includes a treatise on morality and good government called Leal Consselheiro ("Loyal Counselor").
The known provenance of the MS Portugais 5 is:
- Left unfinished in 1438, at the time of Duarte's death; dedicated to his wife Eleonora d'Aragona, who carried it to Naples.
- 1438 - 1495 – held by the royal library of Naples by Eleonora d'Aragona (looted by French army)
- 1495 - present – held by the Bibliothèque du Roi/Bibliothèque nationale de France.
- Duarte I of Portugal. The Book of Horsemanship by Duarte I of Portugal. Trans. Jeffrey L. Forgeng. Boydell Press, 2016. ISBN 978-1783271030
- Duarte. The Royal Book of Jousting, Horsemanship and Knightly Combat. Trans. Antonio Franco Preto. Highland Village, TX: Chivalry Bookshelf, 2005. ISBN 978-1891448119
- Dom Duarte, King of Portugal. Livro da ensinança de bem cavalgar toda sela que fez elrey dom Eduarte de Portugal e do Algarve e senhor de Ceuta. Ed. Joseph M. Piel. Lisboa: Livraria Bertrand, 1944.
- Preto, António Franco; Preto, Luis. The Art of Riding on Every Saddle: Livro da Ensinança de Bem Cavalgar Toda Sela. Self-published, 2011. ISBN 978-1461106616
Copyright and License Summary
For further information, including transcription and translation notes, see the discussion page.