Joachim Meyers Fäktbok (MS A.4º.2)
|Joachim Meyers Fäktbok|
|MS A.4º.2, Lunds Universitets Bibliotek
Opening, ff 2v - 3r
|Language(s)||Early New High German|
|Scribe(s)||Joachim Meÿer (?)|
|Patron||Otto Graf von Sulms, Minzenberg and Sonnenwaldt|
|Material||Paper, in a leather binding|
|Format||Double-sided; occasional images scattered throughout text|
The MS A.4º.2 is a German fencing manual created by Joachim Meÿer in ca. 1568. The original currently rests in the holdings of Lunds Universitets Bibliotek in Lund, Sweden. This manuscript, which may be Meÿer's earliest work, was created for his private student Otto Graf von Sulms, Minzenberg and Sonnenwaldt. It contains lessons in the use of the longsword, the dussack, and the side sword, and it has much in common with the substantially larger book he would publish in 1570, Gründtliche Beschreibung der Kunst des Fechtens.
The known provenance of the MS A.4º.2 is:
- Written in the 1560s for Graf Otto von Solms; probably when he visited Strasbourg in 1568.
- 1568-1612 – owned by Otto von Solms (1550-1612).
- 1612-1642 – owned by Friedrich Albert von Solms (taken as spoils of war by Johannes Levi von Sommerlad, 1642).
- 1643-1728 – owned by the Sparre family (gifted by Anna Maria Falkenberg, Axel Sparre's widow, 1728).
- 1728-1780 – owned by Melker von Falkenberg (donated, 1780).
- 1780-present – held by the Lunds Universitets Bibliotek.
|1r - 4r||Dedication by Joachim Meÿer|
|7r - 40v||Longsword by Joachim Meÿer|
|44r - 65v||Dussack by Joachim Meÿer|
|69r - 89v||Side sword by Joachim Meÿer|
[Images available for import.]