Oxyrhynchus Papyrus (MS P.Oxy.III.466)
|Oxyrhynchus Papyrus 466|
|MS P.Oxy.III.466, Columbia University Library|
New York City, New York
|Format||One side, three columns|
|Identified||Bernard P. Grenfell and|
Arthur S. Hunt
|External data||Library catalog entry|
|Images||Digital scans (2500x1700)|
The Oxyrhynchus Papyrus n.466 (MS P.Oxy.III.466) is a fragmentary 2nd century Greek wrestling manual and the oldest extant Western martial arts treatise. The original currently rests in the Rare Book & Manuscript Library of Columbia University in New York City, NY (USA). It is part of the Oxyrhynchus Papyri series, a group of manuscripts discovered by archaeologists including Bernard P. Grenfell and Arthur S. Hunt at an ancient rubbish dump near Oxyrhynchus in Egypt. The text is in three columns with 13, 15, and 10 lines (from left to right). Each technique is concluded with the instruction πλέξον ("tangle"), translated as "fight it out" or "mix it up".
The known provenance of the Oxyrhynchus Papyrus n.466 is:
- Created in the 2nd century.
- Discovered by Bernard P. Grenfell and Arthur S. Hunt near Oxyrhynchus, Egypt and published in 1903.
- Until 1907 - Owned by the Egypt Exploration Society.
- 1907-present - Held by Columbia University.
Images hosted by Columbia University.
- Grenfell, Bernard P. and Hunt, Arthur S. The Oxyrhynchus Papyri Part III. London: Egypt Exploration Fund, 1903.
- Miller, Stephen G. Arete: Greek Sports from Ancient Sources. University of California Press, 2004. ISBN 0520241541
- Poliakoff, Michael B. Combat Sports in the Ancient World: Competition, Violence, and Culture. Yale University Press, 1987. ISBN 0-300-03768-6
- "APIS record: columbia.apis.p356". Advanced Papyrological Information System. Retrieved 26 May 2012.
Copyright and License Summary
For further information, including transcription and translation notes, see the discussion page.
|Images||Columbia University Library||APIS Advanced Papyrological Information System|
|Translation||Michael B. Poliakoff||Combat Sports in the Ancient World: Competition, Violence, and Culture|
|Transcription||Bernard P. Grenfell and Arthur S. Hunt||Index:Oxyrhynchus Papyrus (MS P.Oxy.III.466)|