Florius de Arte Luctandi (MS Latin 11269)
|Florius de Arte Luctandi|
|MS Latin 11269, Bibliothèque nationale de France|
|Author(s)||Fiore de'i Liberi|
|Material||Parchment, with a pasteboard |
|Format||Double-sided; two illustrations |
per side, with text above
|Exemplar(s)||Pisani Dossi MS (1410)|
Florius de Arte Luctandi ("The Flower of Battle", MS Latin 11269) is an Italian fencing manual translated from a treatise authored by Fiore de'i Liberi and probably created in the 1420s. The original currently rests in the holdings of the Bibliothèque nationale de France in Paris, France. Any preface it once possessed is missing from the current form of the manuscript, and its current title was added much later in a 17th century hand. It consists of 44 folios with two pairings per page, and is the only copy of Fiore's treatise whose illustrations are fully painted. Unlike the other versions of his work, this manuscript is written entirely in Latin; its descriptions are cast in couplets and quatrains that closely resemble those of the Pisani Dossi MS. This manuscript is generally referred to as either the Florius or the Paris.
The known provenance of the MS Latin 11269 is:
- Written in the early 15th century, probably after the completion of Flos Duellatorum in 1409.
- ca. 1635 – rebound by a master papermaker who worked at the Puy-moyen mill for Sieur Janssen.
- before 1727 – in the collection of Louis Phélypeaux, marquis de Phélypeaux. Donated to the Bibliothèque du Roi, where it was labeled Florius de Art Luctandi.
- 1712-present – held by the Bibliothèque du Roi/Bibliothèque nationale de France.
|1v||The Seven Swords by Fiore de'i Liberi|
|2r - 5v||Mounted fencing by Fiore de'i Liberi|
|6r - 6v||Spear vs. cavalry by Fiore de'i Liberi|
|6v - 8v||Spear by Fiore de'i Liberi|
|8v - 10r||Poleaxe by Fiore de'i Liberi|
|10r - 12r||Longsword in one hand by Fiore de'i Liberi|
| 12v - 15v,
26r - 30v
|Longsword in two hands by Fiore de'i Liberi|
|16r - 19v||Armored fencing by Fiore de'i Liberi|
|20r - 20v||Sword vs. dagger by Fiore de'i Liberi|
| 21r - 25v,
31r - 38r,
43r - 44r
|Dagger by Fiore de'i Liberi|
|38v - 42v||Grappling by Fiore de'i Liberi|
Images hosted by the Bibliothèque nationale de France.
- Lodà, Francesco. Florius. De arte luctandi. Traduzione e cura del testo di Francesco Lodà. Rome: Bonanno Editore, 2014. ISBN 978-88-96950-86-9
- The text states that Fiore was deceased by the time it was created.
- Easton, Matt. Fiore dei Liberi - Fior di Battaglia - Flos Duellatorum. Schola Gladiatoria. Retrieved 30 October 2010.
Copyright and License Summary
For further information, including transcription and translation notes, see the discussion page.
|Images||Bibliothèque nationale de France||Bibliothèque nationale de France|
|Transcription||Charlélie Berthaut||Index:Florius de Arte Luctandi (MS Latin 11269)|